Regular postpartum visits in your home and in our office until 6-8 weeks after birth support a normal and complete recovery, and a healthy transition to parenthood. As part of routine postpartum care, I offer:
- Physical exam to assess healing and recovery from birth, including breast exam and pap smear if indicated
- Referrals for birth control, as desired
- Referrals for physical therapy, as desired
Routine home and office visits in your baby’s first two weeks of life help to ensure a healthy transition to life outside the womb, and normal feeding and weight gain.
As part of routine newborn care, Tidelands offers:
- Newborn physical exam in the hours after birth, including newborn medications as desired (vitamin K and erythromycin eye ointment)
- Education about healthy newborn care and behavior
- Weight checks at each visit
- Pulse oximetry screening at the day-1 home visit (to detect rare but critical congenital heart defects)
- Newborn screening (state-wide metabolic screen for dozens of life-threatening but treatable disorders)
Since midwives care for both moms and babies, we are particularly well suited to provide breastfeeding support to new families. I include ample attention to lactation in routine postpartum care, and refer to skilled lactation consultants should you and your baby desire or require more expertise to support successful breastfeeding.