Regular postpartum visits in your home and in our office until 6-8 weeks after birth support a normal and complete recovery, and a healthy transition to parenthood. As part of routine postpartum care, we offer:
- Physical exam to assess healing and recovery from birth, including breast exam and pap smear if indicated
- Referrals for birth control, as desired
- Referrals for physical therapy, as desired
Routine home and office visits in your baby’s first two weeks of life help to ensure a healthy transition to life outside the womb, and normal feeding and weight gain.
As part of routine newborn care, Tidelands offers:
- Newborn physical exam in the hours after birth, including newborn medications as desired (vitamin K and erythromycin eye ointment)
- Education about healthy newborn care and behavior
- Weight checks at each visit
- Pulse oximetry screening at the day-1 home visit (to detect rare but critical congenital heart defects)
- Newborn screening (state-wide metabolic screen for dozens of life-threatening but treatable disorders)
Since midwives care for both moms and babies, we are particularly well suited to provide breastfeeding support to new families. We include ample attention to lactation in routine care, and refer to skilled lactation consultants should you and your baby desire or require more expertise to support successful breastfeeding.